Chronic Ankle Instability

Chronic Ankle Instability

Chronic Ankle Instability

Certain foot types are predisposed to ankle sprain. But this can essentially happen to anyone, tripping or falling into a hole, stumbling, sports etc. The foot that tends to have a tendency to chronic repetitive ankle sprain, often referred to as “Weak Ankles”, may be because the ligaments have not been adequately rehabilitated after an initial sprain, or because their is a biomechanical tendency or both.

Working out the cause, re-establishing ligament function, range of movement and strength, may help considerably to stabilise the ankle and increase proprioception. The Podiatrist can stabilise the foot by correcting the biomechanics using orthotics that are custom made to the angles involved. The stable platform of the orthotic allows more control of the foot from heel strike so that the foot does not automatically invert on uneven surfaces.

This form of control allows the person to trust the foot on heel strike, as it stabilises the foot on contact with the ground. Soft tissue manipulation of the ligaments can improve ligament function and proprioception. Wobble board, taping, exercises with thera- band can all help strengthen the ankle.

The wobble board could be used to strengthen Peroneals to aid ankle stabilisation.

Pain in your feet is never normal, and should not be ignored. Call Sole Motion Podiatry, Point Cook on 03 9395 9402 or make an appointment online to speak to our Podiatrist, Justin Kalopa. Our mission is to ensure that your feet stay healthy and strong in order for you to continue to do the things you love pain-free.

Treatment for a fractured sesamoid involves rest and immobilisation for 6-8 weeks.

WARNING This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace professional podiatric advice. Treatment will vary between individuals depending upon your diagnosis and presenting complaint. An accurate diagnosis can only be made following personal consultation with a Podiatrist, your Doctor or your foot specialist.