The prime purpose of sports massage is to help alleviate the stress and tension, which builds up in the body’s soft tissues during physical activity. Where minor injuries and lesions occur, due to overexertion and/or overuse, massage can break them down quickly and effectively. Above all, it can help prevent those niggling injuries that so often get in the way of performance and achievement, whether one is an athlete, weekend warrior or a once a week jogger. This treatment is not just for the sports person: anyone can benefit from sports massage, including people in physically demanding jobs and those not quite so obvious (occupational, emotional and postural stress may produce many similar characteristics to sports injuries).
The sports massage sessions offer individually tailored treatment and advice and help to
- Achieve optimum physical performance
- Reduce the likelihood of injury during exercise
- Speed up the recovery process and aid rehabilitation after injury
- Ensure full range of joint movement and increase muscle flexibility – stretch and relax
- Improve postural and general body awareness